Friday, November 9, 2012

On the road!


Well! The day has finally come! The day Chris and I get to head east for our vacation! We are beyond excited! I feel like I have been looking forward to this for so long that I felt like it would never come. I'm also a little worried that the anticipation for other trips may not be able to live up to the hype of this one! This is a picture of me and Chris before we left our driveway. Ready and full of energy! We even bought a legitimate map for the trip! Look at us, all profesh! :)



We made it from Katy to downtown Houston (about 30 miles) before Chris had his first official traffic outburst. A huge success for us! He has wanted to be the Director of Nonsense Management for quite some time now and he likes to get in all the practice he can...especially on the road! :) I also had my own success: I made it all the way to Baytown (about 50 miles)  before I decided it was time for my first nap. A glorious nap that lasted me about 30 minutes.

Eventually, we made it to Louisiana!

We fully intended to board a flat bottom boat and cruise the bayous in Louisiana. Too bad we couldn't find anyone to take us. :( By the time we got to America's Wetlands, everyone capable of showing us gators were all done for the day. Kind of disappointing, but we did find an acceptable alternative: The Candyland Cottage & Ice Cream Shoppe. This is the World's largest gummy bear! It cost $40! We didn't get it, but I snapped a picture so folks would believe us.


                                       LOL! doesn't Chris look great with a moustache? :) HA!

Obviously, that was a great stop. It was a neat shop in Rayne, LA which just so happens to be "The Frog Capital of the World"....in case you didn't know. Even though the Candyland Cottage was great, we actually scooted across the street to Ol' Reliable (Dairy Queen) to satisfy our sweet tooth.

Most of the drive through Louisiana was nice and smooth. However, as soon as we hit Baton Rouge, I lost all awe and respect for the state. The traffic we hit was abominable. I mean it. It was absolutely terrible. And the worst part was that it lasted from Baton Rouge ALLLLLLLL the way through New Orleans! I may or may not have been caught (several times) growling at the slow pokes on the road. I think it put us behind almost 2 hours! We eventually tried pulling over for dinner to try and let the traffic clear up, but no amount of pancakes helped. When we got back on the road we were just that much more behind.


FINALLY, we made it to Mississippi and we are currently holed up in the Ramada Limited Hotel. If it sounds a little shady....it is. We have the deadbolt turned and the chain on the door. It smells a little funny, but the important thing is that we have a room to stay in and it's very inexpensive, (hence the shady-ness...it's really our own fault). I'm thinking about Toby as we get ready for bed and I hope he had a fun day at Waggin' Tails Ranch and that he didn't notice we weren't there.

We have an early start tomorrow. The GPS lady says we have about 8.5 hours to Orlando. We are up for the challenge and so excited for tomorrow! More thoughts and pictures to come! Thanks for reading along with us! TwoMadigans, OUT!

3 comments:

  1. Just be grateful it's not Grumpy's, even though the name suggests WDW fun!! Sounds like you're having a blast so far!! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you didn't buy a $40 gummy bear! 8.5 hours away? So exciting! Eat Buggles and Corn Nuts at some point on the road. You know, road trips are the only time you can eat those snacks. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. The wax lips were great! Glad you are enjoying the ride!

    ReplyDelete